What I mean by parent/children dishes is that you make one dish and out of it you can make several different other dishes.
Healthy spicy beef – make a batch and then you have :
- lasagna – I make them in foil pans alternating meat mix/lasagna sheets. I don’t add the Bechamel sauce then but rather make a fresh Bechamel as and when required
- bolognese sauce – cook with spaghetti and you have spaghetti bolognese !
- chilli – add beans, make a salsa (fresh diced tomatoes and cucumber, chives, parsley, red onion or spring onion, salt & pepper, extra virgin olive oil), grated cheese and voila!
- on toast for a quick dinner with grated cheese on top
- pasties – scoop some cold beef mixture onto a rectangle of pastry and fold into a pasty like shape. a bit of egg wash, in the oven and dinner is on the way 🙂
Whole chicken/turkey – poach it or roast it (make sure to keep the cooking liqueur if poached)
- a “Sunday dinner” roast chicken/turkey
- chicken noodle soup – sweat some diced onions, carrots and celery, add some of the shredded leftover chicken, some noodles (egg noodles, taglietelle or spaghetti cut in half), some vegetable or chicken stock
- Chicken pot pie – see my recipe for the filling